Saturday, January 29, 2011

SESSION 15: EXERCISES FOR DISCUSSION AND FINAL TASK

SESSION 15: EXERCISES FOR DISCUSSION AND FINAL TASK


2. EXERCISES FOR DISCUSSION

2.1 PREDICTING: Which is the best system of predicting our personality and character?
  • star signs
  • handwriting
  • bloodtype
  • tea leaves
  • palm reading
  • crystal ball
  • personality test
  • fortune cookies
2.2 ZODIAC DISCUSSION: Here are some questions you can try asking yourself before you come to our discussion on Wednesday:
a) What did you think when you read the headline?
b) What springs to mind when you hear the word ‘zodiac’?
c) What do you think of the thirteenth sign?
d) What is the Zodiac for?
e) What do you know about the Earth’s relationship with the stars?
f) What would change if we had 13 star signs in the Zodiac?
g) Why has this news only come out now?
h) Do you believe in star signs?
i) How might changes in the Earth’s orbit affect our lives?
j) What’s the difference between astrology and astronomy ?
k) Are you worried the Zodiac system might change?
l) What does your star sign say about you?
m) Do you ever believe what horoscopes say?
n) Why do you think people started using star signs to predict our future?
o) Do you think people can predict the future accurately?
p) Do you believe in things like palm reading and determining personality by blood type?
q) Do you think Susan Miller is right?
r) What questions would you like to ask professor Parke Kunkle?
s) Do you know any famous astrologer in your country? Is he reliable?

2.3 THE NEW ZODIAC CHART:
Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18- May 13
Taurus: May 13- June 21
Gemini: June 21- July 20
Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20
Has your Zodiac sign changed with the new Zodiac chart?
Listen to the VIDEO:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/new-zodiac-sign-chart-ophiuchus-jan-13-2011


PREPARING A DISCUSSION IS FUNDAMENTAL:
THIS MUST BE DONE IN TWO DIRECTIONS:


FIRST, YOU NEED TO LEARN NEW VOCABULARY AND EXPRESSIONS THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO USE FOR THE DISCUSSION.
SECONDLY, YOU HAVE TO PREPARE THE TOPIC BY LOOKING UP INFORMATION IN THE INTERNET, BOOKS, ENCYCLOPAEDIAS.
THIS WAY YOU WILL FEEL MUCH MORE CONFIDENT AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU WILL HAVE MUCH MORE TO TALK ABOUT.

FINAL TASK:

HERE IS ONE FINAL TASK THAT YOU MAY DO IN ORDER TO COVER THE FOUR SKILLS YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON WHEN LEARNING A LANGUAGE: LISTENING, READING, SPEAKING AND WRITING.


Write a composition and leave it in the blog as a comment to Session 15, I will edit it in the blog so that everybody can learn from other people´s opinions. Choose one of these two options:
  • What does your starsign say about you?
  • Write an anecdote you had with one of the different techniques used for predicting the future: palm reading, cards, etc...

2 comments:

  1. Nowadays, people need believe in something, and horoscope, palm reader, and many other methods are used to give people what they need to listen to. I’m not a great believer in these sort of topics, but I’ve looked for some horoscope pages on the Internet and each one says a different thing about my zodiac sign. All of them have in common that this sign is represented by a goat.

    One prediction says that I have to have a great role in my community, either of them, at work or in my neighbourhood, besides, I have to work hard to achieve what I was waiting for. I don’t know what this prediction refers.

    Another one, tells me that I have to attend some party, festival or group activity in general, and it could not be hampered by minor obstacles like traffic jams, forgetting things or getting lost, so it should be very important to go out with my friends today.

    And the last one that I’ve read, says general things about Capricorn sign such as that these people are strong, tenacious, dedicated, hard worker and organized. These people possess good leadership ability and frequently are wise and characteristically ambitious.

    Eventually, we can see that everything the horoscope writers tell to people are common abilities or inabilities about everybody in general who always find out something familiar to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For lots of years I haven’t been interested in what does my starsign about me, because I used to read about it from time to time. However, when I become aware of this kind of things, I found out that it didn’t have any logical sense. So, I can’t hide my joy for reading this article and I’ve confirmed, in a certain way, what I have been thinking.

    I really believe that if you change the starsigns’ order, nothing happens and if somebody wants to consult the horoscope about his or her future, he or she will not realize absolutely of nothing, because the descriptions of the starsigns are too ambiguous.

    A friend of mine spends some time giving advice and telling people’s fortune. She thinks that I don’t want to heard about my future because it could fright me, although, to be honest, I don’t want to do it because I don’t believe that my future was in a handful of cards.

    To sum up, I can understand some people need to know things through cards or starsigns, although it wasn’t scientific method, but I couldn’t understand how people base their decisions on esoteric words, overall when a decision is taken by a leader of a country.

    ReplyDelete