Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SOME TIPS FOR "HOW TO TAKE PART IN A DEBATE"

SOME TIPS FOR: HOW TO TAKE PART IN A DEBATE
IN ORDER NOT TO REPEAT YOURSELVES ALL THE TIME, HERE ARE SOME STRUCTURES YOU MAY USE IN DEBATES, NEVERTHELESS, IT´S REALLY IMPORTANT
  • TO TRY TO USE THEM IN A NATURAL WAY AS PART OF YOUR SPEECH
  • NOT TO USE TOO MANY AT A TIME AS THAT WOULD SOUND TOO RHETORICAL

INTRODUCING:

- To begin with, to start with, as an introduction, first and foremost

- Well, let me begin at the beginning

ADDING INFORMATION:

- Adv: besides, moreover, furthermore, what is more, ... too

- Prep: in addition to..., not to mention..., not only ... but also...

SUMMARIZING/SUMMING UP:

- in a word, in short, to put it in a nutshell, on balance, to sum up

CONTRASTING:

- Adv: but, yet, though, still, nevertheless, nonetheless, actually, conversely

- Conj: although, though, whereas

- Prep: unlike..., instead of..., despite..., in spite of...

- Loc: on the contrary, on the other hand, by contrast, in fact, the fact is (that)

REPORTING PERSONAL OPINIONS:

- To my mind, in my opinion, as far as I´m concerned, as I see it, personally, I think, I guess, I believe

EXPRESSING A POINT OF VIEW:

- As far as I´m concerned, the text..., to my mind, in my opinion, my opinion is that, my personal point of view is that..., now I´d like to say what I think about..., I´m going to express my own point of view about...

DISAGREEING:

- Well, I don´t think so really

- Well, my point of view is rather different from yours

- I don´t quite agree with you about this

- I´m afraid I disagree

AGREEING

- Yes, indeed

- Yes, certainly

- Yes, I think so

- Yes, you´re quite right

- Yes, I´ve got the same point of view as you (have)

- Yes, I quite agree with you about ...

1 comment:

  1. Smart, practical, and effective suggestions!

    Conversation skills, for whatever reason, seem to be declining - even among native speakers. Both teachers and students will find class discussions more satisfying, polite, and informative if these guidelines are used.

    ReplyDelete