Thursday, February 18, 2010

SESSION 17: A SONG

SESSION 17: A SONG
JASON MRAZ: I´M YOURS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A
The Lyrics:
MEANING OF THE SONG:
This man was a perfectionist. He´s had many relationships before and always tried to stay cool to be able to control the situation, always trying to be perfect. Now he´s met this girl and he´s gone completely crazy over her. His first reaction, as usual, was to stay cold, but he loves her too much, so he can´t (I tried to be chill but you´re so hot that I melted) so for the first time, he´s giving himself to the woman completely (I won´t hesitate no more. It cannot wait, I´m yours). His second reaction is to try to impress her, but he fails there too, and this is the best part of the song:
He was always trying to be perfect, trying to spot any flaw in himself (checking my tongue in the mirror), and to see his tongue clearer he also tried to look at it upside down, to see the bottom of it, so he bent over. But this love made him forget about all that artificial controlled perfection and he just accepts the way he is and laughs at his imperfections (my breath fogged up the glass and so I drew a new face and laughed). After all, all that part about the tongue is only a visual of what he tries to say later: I guess what I´d been saying is there ain´t no better reason to rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons.
Because the message of this song is that when you love so much, you are natural, accept everything just as it is, put your fears aside and enjoy every bit of it. It´s all about relaxing and going with the flow, because that´s the only way you can be happy. And now he´s asking her to do the same and let helself go: Open up your mind and see like me, open up your plans and damn, you´re free, look into your heart and you´ll find love.
EXPLANATION OF SOME WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS:
bestest: the best of the best, better than the best
I reckon:I suppose, I think
hesitate:doubt, to be uncertain
before the cool done run out: before the nice things we did finish
I fell right through the cracks: he melted so he became like liquid, he fell to the floor and could even disappear into the cracks on the wooden floor.
open up your mind: be ready for new things
damn: a bad word but not really offensive
fate: destiny
scrooch on over closer: sit/get closer to me
nibble: to bite gently and repeatedly
go with the seasons: adapt, be flexible
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE SONG!

1 comment:

  1. I like this song a lot, too. Above all this verse:"open up your mind and see like me..." At the same time, it is a truly and beautiful offer, wish and request. Music is relaxing, simple and full of happyness as if you were chasing cars with no preoccupation.

    ReplyDelete