Friday, March 27, 2009

SESSION 10: TOP LIST OF MISTAKES

SESSION 10: TOP LIST OF MISTAKES


ARE USED TO READ .... ARE USED TO READING
(TO is a preposition and after prepositions we always use an -ing form)

MUST PROHIBITED .... MUST PROHIBIT
(MUST is a modal verb and after modal verbs we always use bare infinitive)

I WANT TO SPEAK .... I WANT TO SAY
(We use I want to speak when we refer to a person, e.j. 'I want to speak to the Director'. We use 'I want to say' when we want to express our opinion about something)

VERY CHEAPER .... MUCH CHEAPER
(We use 'very' as an emphasizer for adjectives but we can never use it with comparatives, we can use other emphasizers like: lightly, a lot, slightly, much...)

YOU WILL KNOW HOW WILL BE KILLED THE ANIMAL ... YOU WILL KNOW HOW THE ANIMAL WILL BE KILLED.
(This is a statement and the order of statements is always the same: subject + verb + object, even if the sentence is passive, we use the same formula)

I´M GOING TO DEATH .... I´M GOING TO DIE
(Verb: TO DIE / TO BE DEAD --- Noun: DEATH --- Noun referring to people: THE DEAD)

PEOPLE IS .... PEOPLE ARE
TWO PERSONS .... TWO PEOPLE
(Singular: Person ...... Plural : People)

These are the most outstanding mistakes I could note down the other day on our oral session. Nevertheless, I insist on the fact that you shouldn't bother too much about your mistakes. You´re all doing very well and ... NOBODY´S PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment